Tuesday, September 16, 2014

gardening

We tried to have a garden when we lived in Salem. We got a few tomatoes and herbs but the seagulls would steal everything faster than we could pick it. Our garden this year is really coming along. Everyday Dave brings in a handful of little tomatoes. Our bigger tomatoes are looking good. The kale and rainbow chard is probably ready too but we haven't wanted to disturb it. A few weeks ago Dave picked a little carrot. He keeps forgetting to involve Elinor in the process of picking! She gets so picky with foods randomly. I am hoping that seeing where it comes from and being a part of the process will keep her interested.
Playing in the backyard the other day, I helped her pick another carrot. This one was a lot bigger than last time. She tried eating it right away all covered in soil. We came inside, she cleaned it almost all by herself and ate it. She's been on a carrot strike lately so I was happy.
Now if we can remember to take advantage of having these treats outside! We wanted to make a smoothie the other morning but needed mint. Dave reminded me we have plenty of it in our garden!

11 comments:

  1. How fun! I would love to have a garden some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow White eating the carrot is adorable! My kids love carrots too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read The Carrot Seed with her? It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Elinor is one lucky chica to have a mom and dad with a garden;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's my dream to be able to have a backyard garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having my kids in the garden has been huge for their veggie and fruit intake. They are always eating off the vine before I can stop them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful garden!!!! Nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a magnificent garden I wish I had the diligence to grow one. enjoy your fruits of your labor

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love sending the kids into the yard to harvest whatever is ready. I have a few jalapenos left to add to a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all brown thumbs with a garden but all my friends keep telling me to try! Imagine if the kids could get the carrots from the yard, that would be awesome. (They're on a carrot kick now too.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really hope to try out a garden this year since we just moved to a place with a yard. I don't have a great track record with plants though. Your garden looks great. I love the Snow White costume on your little cutie!

    ReplyDelete