Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cheezy Cream of Broccoli Soup

I forget where I read this recipe. I think it was in Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. I check cookbooks out of the library at least once every 2 weeks and try to make at least one new thing. Anyway I wrote this down and with it being so chilly out I can't eat enough soup. This was super delicious but we made the same mistake we do a lot. We try to keep plain almond/rice/soy milk in but it always ends up we are out when we are making a dinner that calls for it. Even though it was still good with vanilla almond milk it would have been even better with plain. NEXT TIME!
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion diced
4 cups roughly chopped brocolli
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups low-sodium veg stock
4 cups soy or rice milk
1/4 cup arrowroot or 5 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
6 ounces vegan cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a 4-6quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the stock, increase the heat to high, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the broccoli is very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in about 1 cup of the milk.
Transfer the mixture to a blender. On low or medium speed, puree and smooth. Transfer the mixture back to the pot, return to medium high heat, and stir in the remaining milk. When the soup returns to a simmer, add the arrowroot mixture and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts

If anyone tried this with plain soy/rice/almond milk let me know how it comes out.

Oh and I have been looking up these shoes everyday. Like I really need anymore shoes right now especially with winter coming.
I found them on Vegan Essentials.

1 comment:

  1. oh i love a good broccoli soup. That recipe book sounds like one I need to get out. What a great title!

    ReplyDelete